1949, Forrest O. Rundle and Don Rundle established the Columbia
Heating Company. Working out of his home at 24959 Royalton
(which is now the current location of Rundle Heating &
Cooling, Inc) Forrest and Don installed new furnaces, ductwork
and roof flashing on new homes. Forrest purchased the old
blacksmith shop, moved it back from the road, bought a shear,
a brake (for sheet metal) and a Pittsburg lock former, establishing
what is now known as "the shop".
Coletta, wife of Forrest, was the clerk along with managing
their 5 children. In 1959 the business was absolved. Forrest
went to work for The Republic Steel Corporation as an electrician.
Don went to work for the Chevy plant in Brookpark. In 1962,
Forrest bought a Volkswagon Transporter van stocked with tools
and parts from a woman whose husband had died and had been
in the heating business.
That year Forrest started Rundle Heating Service. He worked
predominantly with oil and later picked up more work with
gas. Some of his early clients were Cuyahoga Landmark and
Cartwright Sheet Metal. Forrest's son, Tom, started working
with him after going to Oil School in Columbus for two weeks
in 1971. The following year, another one of Forrest's sons,
Dennis, starting working with his father and brother. When
Bill, another son, returned from the Army in 1973, he also
joined the business. In 1976, Edward, the youngest boy, joined
his family. In 1978, Rundle Heating & Cooling was incorporated.
Mary Jo, Forrest's only daughter, later joined the business
in 1980 as the secretary. She is now the Office Manager/Bookkeeper
for the business. Along with Mary Jo, Dennis and Edward are
also still working for the business. Bill left in 1982 and
Tom in 1991 to pursue other interests. Rundle Heating &
Cooling, Inc. now services over 3,500 customers in the Lorain
County, West Cuyahoga County and Northern Medina County areas.